Self tanners

Talk about makeup, share tips and ideas, or talk about the skincare products you like here

Moderator: clipinqueen

Self tanners

Postby sherrie215 on Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:34 pm

Hey ladies, just wondering if any of you use any self tanners? Which are your favorites and which are your least favorites?

I have tried the neutrogena micromist, but I find it leaves some streaks. Ive checked their website for addtional tips (like it says on the can) but I dont really find anything more than I already know.
sherrie215
Site Admin

Postby mrswozzy on Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:27 pm

Thats the one I use, no streaks. Are you applying to much at one time? I usually do a light coat and then another one. I do have to say though I started getting airbrush tanning done, and HOLY COW, perfect tan every time!!
mrswozzy

Postby BunnyWabbit on Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:16 pm

I'm not much of a gal to use self tanners on a regular basis. I remember using a foamy one when I was a teenager, didn't get any streaks but I'm so fair that it was orange since I wasn't out inthe sun yet what so ever. So I've started to use the 'build a tan' lotions. I have the Jergens for light to medium (I think?) and it builds a nice subtle color. I use it primarily on my legs and shoulders when I want more of a glow.
BunnyWabbit

Postby sherrie215 on Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:06 am

mrswozzy, yes I get streaks and Im spraying on a very fine coat, so Im not sure what Im doing wrong? I have my own tanning bed...and it seems I just cant find the time to use it...yes I do still like to tan, but Im pretty conscious about how much I tan.
sherrie215
Site Admin

Postby Naked Eye on Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:07 am

Yeah, I use what BW uses too, I really like that, because it does give you nice color, you can keep going up and use the medium or dark ones, and it's more gradual, so it doesn't look streaky or too orange.

I did self tanners for years, neutrogena ones are the ones I never really liked for some reason. But I did use that one on the end just for my back and areas I couldn't reach and I didn't have any streaks.

But really, when it comes down to it, I always think the streaks and when it looks funky comes from other things. I had an OCD thing when it came to self tanners, I really think it's all about scrubbing before hand. I would take corn meal and mix it with my normal body wash or whatever, and make my skin almost red from scrubbing and shave my legs and stuff, and then apply a water based lotion (it seems to help from getting the orange hands and dark elbows and knees) and then apply everything, and try my hardest not to touch anything (you should have seen me walking around!)

It seemed after I did all that, I never had a problem, and I used all different brands, so I really do think it all comes back to that.

But if you can, I really think the mystic tans and the sunless tanners where they have the spray on booth are awesome!!
Naked Eye

Postby sherrie215 on Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:09 pm

so I may try scrubbing really well prior to using the micromist and see how that does.
sherrie215
Site Admin

Postby BunnyWabbit on Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:11 pm

hope it goes well! make sure you moisturize after exfoliating :)
BunnyWabbit

Postby sherrie215 on Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:15 pm

thanks BW... :D
sherrie215
Site Admin

Postby sherrie215 on Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:17 am

I tried your suggestions of exfoliating and then moisturizing before using the micromist...MUCH better results! Still not perfect but better! Maybe just some practice in application.

Think Im gonna try the spray tanning. Any suggestions or tips on getting good results?
sherrie215
Site Admin

Postby Naked Eye on Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:11 am

Goodluck! I think those are fun!

Do you know which one you are doing?

The one I did was actually pretty much idiot proof :lol: which is what i need! The only time I had a problem was once when I left it was raining. I looked like a leopard for a while. :?
Naked Eye

Postby blainewitch on Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:17 am

I use the Jergens gradual type everyday. It doesn't create much color though, only enought to subdue the glare. I like it because it doesn't smell like a self-tanner.
I have used spray type and like them, but I don't like the smell .... something in them smells weird to me. But, I never smell them on anyone else, only me.
Last edited by blainewitch on Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
blainewitch

Postby laurelq on Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:40 pm

I'm using the St Ives touch of color moisturizer one. I exfolliate using either Dove or Avon Skin So Soft first. So far I'm liking it.

I used to use the neutrogena spray on - but because I am pigment-challenged most self tanners are too dark/orange for me
laurelq

Postby angel on Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:39 pm

I'm the 'self tanner queen', I hate looking pale and pasty, so, this is what I like: (and I've tried MANY, MANY, MANY..........well, you get the picture :)

ROC spray tanner - clear mist, goes on flawlessly, no smell, everyone asks me where I've gone on holidays.........

ROC MOUSSE - new product, love it, gorgeous colour (same as above), no smell, dries very quickly, goes a long way..............

(ROC does tend to be a bit expensice though, so it's a splurge for me, about $24/bottle, in Canada at least)

LOREAL Sublime spray, nice colour, somewhat comparable to the ROC, but less expensive (I do prefer ROC though, it seems to last longer and absorb quicker)

those are my top three choices- these produce a darker colour, so may not be appropriate for very pale individuals, gives a Medetireanean tan look.

I have tried lots of lotions and creams, but I tend to find they have that SMELL that I can not get rid of, I feel like I stink and can smell me miles away, so I try to stay away from those..........(I'm a bit anal about the possibility of smelling
angel

Postby sherrie215 on Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:06 pm

back to the self tanners...

My daughter has been using the coppertone gradual self tanner. And it looks WONDERFUL on her. No streaks, very even, nice color.

Ya know, I wonder if different brands look/work different on different people....another of those one size does not fit all sort of things?
sherrie215
Site Admin

Postby Maja on Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:28 am

I really like Lavera self tanner, it gives a nice color and is also free from parabenes. I do a salt and oil scrub prior to applying the self tanner.

http://www.lavera.com/products.php?p=products&parent=9
Maja

Next

Return to Makeup and Skincare