Store Brand Minerals

Talk about makeup, share tips and ideas, or talk about the skincare products you like here

Moderator: clipinqueen

Store Brand Minerals

Postby sherrie215 on Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:08 pm

While I was at Walmart today I decided to look at some of the makeup brands that are now offering loose mineral foundation. These brands have alot of synthetic ingredients in them. And a bunch of fillers. Some brands moreso than others. But doesnt this 'defeat' the whole purpose of mineral makeup? Isnt the idea behind minerals to be pure, natural and healthy? :?
sherrie215
Site Admin

Postby valentine319 on Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:43 am

I have to chime in with Sherrie.

Also wanted to note as I am looking at making my own I noticed something. Most of these have bismuth..it causes acne and if you are prone to cystic acne you get them. I have been clear for months and then whammo tried it and broke out.

Please note they try to tease you thinking they are good by listing no Talc included. the makeup also doesn't spread well and is crap.

Also, please be careful of any products with pressed minerals, there are ingredients needed to bind them together.
Valentine
valentine319

Postby sherrie215 on Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:57 am

Yep Valentine, alot of the mineral makeups on the market have bismuth or other fillers. They use these fillers because they are cheap.

The one thing I kept in mind with my line of minerals was to keep the products pure, and use only ingredients that were healthy and non-comedogenic and will not clog pores.

It only takes a few ingredients to make a quality mineral makeup, zinc oxide, titanium dioxide mica, iron oxides (and ultramarine blue in cool shades.) So the PP minerals is a very pure makeup and is very benefical to people with acne and rosacea.

There are people out there that have never used minerals that dont know how to properly apply them, and give up on it too quickly. If you take the time to learn how to apply the minerals properly they can give you a far better finsish than any store bought makeup. And is far healthier for your skin in the long run.
sherrie215
Site Admin

Postby sherrie215 on Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:23 am

There ARE a few really good brands of mineral makeup out there. I didnt mean to sound like the PP was the only good brand.

Just stay away from anything that has bismuth, talc or other 'fillers' as these are what clogs pores.

If you have dry skin, or aging skin (like me) you might find that the loose minerals seem too/dry powdery on your skin. They are NOT drying, your skin may just require moisture. For those of us with dry or mature skin applying a moisturizer first is essential (just be sure to use a moisturizer that wont make your skin irritated). Or you may need to use a cream mineral foundation (whether you mix your own or purchase a premixed cream foundation.)
sherrie215
Site Admin

Postby angel on Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:18 pm

sherrie215 wrote:If you have dry skin, or aging skin (like me) you might find that the loose minerals seem too/dry powdery on your skin. They are NOT drying, your skin may just require moisture. For those of us with dry or mature skin applying a moisturizer first is essential (just be sure to use a moisturizer that wont make your skin irritated). Or you may need to use a cream mineral foundation (whether you mix your own or purchase a premixed cream foundation.)

Ahhhhhhhh, you just answered my question............I notice that the skin around my eyes creases more when I smile with the powder foundation......maybe I can use liquid mineral powder for under the eye, just mix with my eye cream......
Thank you Sherrie........
angel

Postby laurelq on Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:39 pm

If you use a good quality mineral makeup (higher quality than the new ones in the drugstore) it won't cake in your lines.
laurelq

Postby sherrie215 on Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:29 pm

its good to see you again laurelq :D

if you have very dry skin like me....even the good stuff can make my fine lines stand out like a sore thumb! the best way to avoid that, is to moisturize prior to applying mineral makeup (and let it absorb well before applying loose mineral). The moisturizer will give your skin a nice 'primed' surface to dust on the loose minerals. Or try a liquid or cream mineral foundation.
sherrie215
Site Admin

Return to Makeup and Skincare