Removing Keratin Bonds

Talk about, or get help with Shrinks, Links, Fusion, Weaves, Wefts or any extensions method

Moderator: clipinqueen

Removing Keratin Bonds

Postby lniesha on Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:13 pm

All,

Can anyone tell me the best way to remove these bonds? I have a soultion that kinda smells like paint thinner, but wanted to know if there was anyting that was minus the odor?

I have decided to do braid extensions (Wet n Wavy), so I'm taking my fusions out this weekend.

I'll post pics of the new do, if I ever get these bonds out LOL.

Lniesha
lniesha

Postby mrswozzy on Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:36 pm

The only thing that worked for me was pure acetone, put it on, wait, break it with pliers and remove. Beyond that I'm not sure.
mrswozzy

Postby asinnamon on Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:41 pm

If they are regular keratin, you should be able to use acetone or maybe an orange oil type remover and a pair of pliers. Saturate the bond with your selected liquid, crunch the bond with pliers, turn 1/4 or 1/2 turn and crunch again. You should be able to gently pull at the bottom of the strand and slide the extension out. If it doesn;t slide out easily, repeat saturation & crunch again.

If the bonds are like so cap or great lengths, I think you'll need grain alcohol to remove??

Good luck, and go slow. You can do alot of damage from improper removal. Also, be careful not to get the acetone in your eyes, seems like a no brainer, but I;'ve done it one more then one occasion....
Current Install: Belorio & Singer's Tape
asinnamon

Postby frenchie on Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:56 pm

Pick a day when you have all day, to do that. I found it takes a lot of patience and you can cause a lot of damage on your hair if you go too fast. Good luck.
Pure acetone works well w/ keratin
Frenchie
frenchie

Postby Aphrodite on Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:57 pm

Ditto regarding the acetone.....it will also remove great lengths.....
Aphrodite

Removing keratin bonds

Postby lniesha on Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:00 pm

Well ladies, before I could get back here to see what you all wrote in reply, I was at the supply store...Imagine that, LOL! So I purchased some orangy smelling remover and LG remover and shamppoo. So I will see how it goes. Thanks for your replies.
lniesha

Postby mrswozzy on Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:03 pm

LG remover didn't do a thing for my keratin tips, the citrus remover might work. Good luck and let us know.
mrswozzy

Postby irosa1 on Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:49 am

i used C-22 Citrus Solvent from the store here and it worked really well..i didnt even have to use pliers.

igor
irosa1

Postby sherrie215 on Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:50 am

I have to cosign with the ladies. The acetone & pliers is the way to go with keratin bonds.
sherrie215
Site Admin

Removing keratin bonds

Postby lniesha on Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:04 pm

Well Ladies,

I'm finally back to tell you all about my experience with removing those suckers...Well let just say the best thing that worked was the acetone, I just hated the way it smelt though. There must be something better, lets put our heads together an come up with something :) It took me the rest of the night to take them out and then I started my hair braiding extensions. I will post pics soon. Thanks ladies.
lniesha

Postby sherrie215 on Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:02 am

Post pictures when you can Iniesha!! :D
sherrie215
Site Admin

Postby Cosmo-Politan on Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:18 pm

It took me a couple hours to do it but I used a flat iron (on a fairly low heat..just to melt it enough) to get the bonds warm and then i removed the hair. Then I used olive oil and a comb.

Isn't acetone pretty hard on your hair? I hate getting it on my skin so putting it anywhere near my scalp and on my hair scares me.
Cosmo-Politan

Postby lniesha on Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:34 pm

I tried using the fusion wand to aid in removing the bonds, but it seem just to make the bond stronger on my natural hair, maybe I was doing it wrong.

I hated using the acetone, but I had no choice.
lniesha

Postby Tanhair on Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:05 am

I had those in and had a devil of a time removing, never again will I get fusion. I put a protien strength poo/condition mix on my head and it took some out. for some reason I would say 1/2 of the keratin glue loosened up and slid out, and the others had to be crunched and taken out. U need to find the poo/condit they say NOT to use on the hair and glob it on your head/pile ur hair up and wait about 20min/1/2hr. Its also best to get a friend to help u, cause after awhile its easy to start puling on them, even thou you say, im not gonna do that. I also had to use acetone too on some cause they wouldnt budge.
Tanhair

Postby sherrie215 on Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:19 pm

For me personally the acetone is the quickest removal. And is also what most fusion removal products are. You add a few drops of acetone to the bond and crunch with pliers and the bond should crumble and the hair should slide right off.

I have also used orange oil, that worked ok on really broken down bonds, but I didnt find it to work as well on bonds that are stronger and havent broke down as much. Also the orange oil burns my scalp and skin too bad to use, so I stick with acetone.

But like all of these products we all have different experiences with them.
sherrie215
Site Admin

Return to Extensions