How do you wash your hair?

Talk about, or get help with Shrinks, Links, Fusion, Weaves, Wefts or any extensions method

Moderator: clipinqueen

How do you wash your hair?

Postby Cross610 on Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:54 am

I was originally thinking that installing too much hair was the reason for my poofing and slight tangling, but I am now wondering if it was just the way I wash my hair?

Because I go 2 days between washing my hair, I always try to really scrub in between the tapes, and I do not keep the hair flowing all in one direction. I would really pile it around the nape of my neck. Because of this when I got out of the shower, I would have to spend a goou d 5-10 minutes just brushing out my hair.

Yesterday (and granted I had a new install with less hair) I used the purology shampoo/conditioner like always, but really just almost finger combed the shampoo through my hair, and didn't try and scrub between the tapes. My hair was SO much softer, dried SO much straighter, and was way shinier! And it was a breeze to comb through.

So here's my question, when you wash your hair are you very gentle? Do you keep all the hair flowing in one direction? I am wondering whether by piling hair I roughed up the cuticle of the hair, maybe that makes sense?

TIA! :D
Casey
Cross610

Postby Guccigirl on Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:07 pm

Yes, I am pretty gentle and careful.

I actually really shampoo the TOP of my head, and then lightly on the extension hair (hung on each shoulder as not to weigh/pull) and then I just let the shampoo rinse over the taped/glued parts. I do the same with conditioning, but sometimes I wont even condition the top of my head just the extension hair under the nape of my neck

But I am really careful and dont shift my hair around much.

GG
Guccigirl

Postby clipinqueen on Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:01 pm

Yeah, I do it similar to Gucci. I actually 'wipe' the shampoo onto my crown/scalp --- don't rub or massage. Then I massage more into the lengths, but always keeping the hair divided into two ponytails on either side of my head. I find when I rinse with the water flowing down through my hair, it never tangles. But then again, I don't worry about tangling because I always apply conditioner OUT of the shower and leave it on for awhile.
clipinqueen

Postby Saralee26 on Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:34 pm

you should never pile the hair on top of your head, that's a no no, always keep the hair in one direction, start shampoo the top of the hair, and let the suds run down the rest of your hair, and rinse! hope that helps
Saralee26
Diva of the Month

Postby PrincessK on Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:19 am

I actually put my hair into two braids; it feels a bit weird to wash your hair while its in plaits but the shampoo soaks through them and it helps so much with tangling and prevents to much pulling on your scalp!
PrincessK

Postby Cross610 on Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:01 am

wow! well i guess this explains why i had trouble with too much volume also...i will be sooo much more careful when i wash my hair from now on!
Casey
Cross610

Postby sherrie215 on Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:09 pm

Its very possible that it was the way you were washing your hair.

I put my shampoo on the top and then just the length, sort of avoiding the tape area. When I rinse, the shapoo that runs down is usually sufficent enough to clean the hair in the tape area. Soemtimes I will give a light scrubbing of poo under the tapes if I feel the need, but I dont use the shampoo directly on the tape area all the time.

And as Saralee said, never pile the hair up. I let mine drape across my shoulder so the weight of the hair is pulling.
sherrie215
Site Admin

Return to Extensions