Hi everyone, is tape in method best for thin hair?

Talk about, or get help with Shrinks, Links, Fusion, Weaves, Wefts or any extensions method

Moderator: clipinqueen

Hi everyone, is tape in method best for thin hair?

Postby HVBLONDE70 on Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:13 pm

Hi Ladies and gentleman
My name is Lynn and I am a new member looking for some advice. I just got my first set of sew in extensions three weeks ago. They itch really bad and are bulky. I have been reading horror stories about traction alpopecia and breakage. My hair is thin and fine. Ladies- do you feel the tape in method is a much better method for a hair type as mine, and if so should I buy the pre taped wefts ? What company do you recommend I buy from, the ones I have in right know tangle really bad, so I prefer to purchase from a company that has extensions that do not tangle....whew...I know its a lot of questions.....I am a rookie and really need advice...Thanks so much
Lynn :ANAL: :rolleyes: :supz: =D>
HVBLONDE70

Re: Hi everyone, is tape in method best for thin hair?

Postby sherrie215 on Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:00 pm

Hi Lynn, welcome to our forum! :D

I have already sent you a PM and Im moving your topic into the hair extensions category where it will get more views, and hopefully more replies!
sherrie215
Site Admin

Postby Lori on Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:34 pm

I don't think a sew in would be inherently itchy due to the tracks. It's probably from the beard on the weft which you can carefully trim before install. I would imagine for someone used to thin hair that wefts, particularly machine wefts, on top of braided tracks would feel pretty bulky.

I don't feel like I lost any more hair doing a sew in method than with any other method one thing to consider is how tightly the tracks are braided and if it's a neat job or a sloppy job. I can see it could add additional stress if too brutally braided because the natural hair is being pulled and tensioned even before having to carry the weight of the wefts. If the hair is fine and prone to breakage, I could see the possibility of further damage.

Whether tape or glue, I think you'd find less bulkiness with a tape or glue method and hand wefted hair intead of machine wefted. Alot of the itchiness will probably be alleviated by trimming the beard on the weft before install, but you will experience a little itchiness the longer you go between installs as the ends of the naturally shed hair that are trapped in the glue or tape will cause some of that as well. I haven't ever used tapes, just sew in, glue in and fusion so I can't speak about the tapes, but if you are careful with application and removal and gentle when brushing/combing the extension hair, the stresses to your natural hair should be minimal with glue in or tape applications.

Hope this helps somewhat.
Lori

Profile pic: My daughter and me, both sportin 909

Lori
Diva of the Month

Postby metalgirl70 on Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:42 am

Hello,

I've worn both sew in and taped in on my extremely fine, thin hair, and between the two I lost more hair with the taped in, due to the pain in the 'you know what' :butthead: it is to get all the residue out. My thin hair just pulled out in gobs trying to get the stickiness out. It took me about 1 week to finally get all the adhesive out of my hair. That is my experience with Proflex and True Blue tape. I haven't tried SuperTape, I hear it's better on the residue factor.

I think if your head is sensitive, you may get itchiness regardless of the application. With me, both the sew in and taped in were itchy, but the taped in caused me ridiculous, obsessive itching.

On the plus side the taped lay much flatter, so I think they are more comfortable.

But, if I were you I'd at least give the taped in a try to see how you like it. It may work just fine for you! I think I would have lost less hair with the taped in if I had someone else help me take them out.

Good luck!
metalgirl70

Postby ashleybelle83 on Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:01 pm

i have super thin and fine hair (my ponytail is about the diameter of a dime. seriously) and i don't think i have seen much, if any at all, damage or thinning from tapes. in fact, i have only tried tapes and clip ins and i honestly think the clip ins are harder on my hair and scalp than the tapes. mind you, i only leave the taped in extensions in my hair for 2 weeks tops. i really think its important for me, personally, to give my scalp a rest. not only that, but i only use supertape, with no glue, and it begins slipping down my hair after only a few days. i think because my hair is so fine and slippery, it would really help to use the tape in conjunction with LG, but i never leave it in for long enough anyway. i never have a problem getting any residue from the tapes out of my hair. not even once. the only thing i ever had a hard time getting out was when i tried a few tembond bonds... now THAT was a doozie to get out! i would think that traction alopecia would be less likely for those who wear tapes as long as theyre not left in for too long. my faves are supertape and C22 yo remove it. i LOVE those two products!
ashleybelle83

Postby metalgirl70 on Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:56 pm

I just might try the supertape and see if it makes my head itch like the other tapes did.

You're right about keeping the wefts in a shorter time as opposed to longer. However, I just don't have the time to do a whole take down and removal every two week. I usually take the taped in out around week 5-6.

I have been wearing clip ins since the year 2000, (with a few taped in applications every now and then), and I haven't suffered any damage to my hair from the clips.

I think it's all about experimentation and see what works for you and your hair. We are all so different!
metalgirl70

Postby sherrie215 on Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:58 am

metalgirl, defintely try the supertape. It gets much less sticky and leaves far less residue than the others. I hardly get any stickiness with supertape. I remove with acetone and have only a tiny bit of stickiness that washes out of my hair with one shampoo.
sherrie215
Site Admin

Postby kttylover2 on Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:27 am

I have thin hair and use the supertape...I don't get any hair loss from it....what really works to take the leftover adhesive out from any of the tape methods is GOO GONE is the spray gel bottle, it is orange and thicker and takes it right out!!!! You can buy it at Michaels'....Good Luck Sweetie!! :D
kttylover2

Postby clipinqueen on Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:33 am

ashleybelle83 wrote:i have super thin and fine hair (my ponytail is about the diameter of a dime. seriously) and i don't think i have seen much, if any at all, damage or thinning from tapes. in fact, i have only tried tapes and clip ins and i honestly think the clip ins are harder on my hair and scalp than the tapes. mind you, i only leave the taped in extensions in my hair for 2 weeks tops. i really think its important for me, personally, to give my scalp a rest. not only that, but i only use supertape, with no glue, and it begins slipping down my hair after only a few days. i think because my hair is so fine and slippery, it would really help to use the tape in conjunction with LG, but i never leave it in for long enough anyway. i never have a problem getting any residue from the tapes out of my hair. not even once. the only thing i ever had a hard time getting out was when i tried a few tembond bonds... now THAT was a doozie to get out! i would think that traction alopecia would be less likely for those who wear tapes as long as theyre not left in for too long. my faves are supertape and C22 yo remove it. i LOVE those two products!

I couldn't have written this better myself! LOL. Hi HVBlonde! Welcome to the forum.

IA with Ashley in that I don't see much damage with tape/glue. The trick is to section really well when you are doing your install and removing very patiently when the time comes. I love Goo Gone mixed with acetone. Well, actually, I use the Goo Gone first, wait for about an hour (usually workout) and then spritz a little acetone on those areas that are still stuck. Works like a dream. Lately, it has become so easy to remove (every four weeks to colour/highlight) that I don't dread it anymore --- almost look forward to it. I also do not believe in keeping extensions in for more than a month; it's just not good for your scalp. You need to get to your head to massage it and clean it. That my opinion. HTH!
clipinqueen

Postby HVBLONDE70 on Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:27 pm

I am not sure how to post individually to each thread, so this is a big thank you to everyone who responded to my post. I really do appreciate the useful information. When you guys say to only wear extensions for 4 weeks or so, how long do you leave them out before you reinstall them?
Thanks
Lynn
HVBLONDE70

Postby Rocket22 on Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:44 pm

HVBLONDE70 wrote:I am not sure how to post individually to each thread, so this is a big thank you to everyone who responded to my post. I really do appreciate the useful information. When you guys say to only wear extensions for 4 weeks or so, how long do you leave them out before you reinstall them?
Thanks
Lynn

Oh they go in the very next minute!!!! :D :D I think you get sooooo used to having all that hair that when they are out you really miss all that hair... so usually when people say they wear them for an certain amount of time it just means that is when they have to do a reinstall....
Current install: Nothing at the moment.
Rocket22

Postby kttylover2 on Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:26 pm

I put mine back in as soon as I color :LOL:

I have gone from 4 weeks to 9 total, if I have no sides in I go longer :supz:
kttylover2

Postby ashleybelle83 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:31 pm

i actually give my head a little rest for at least a few days. but, lemme tell ya, it is REALLY shocking to see yourself without that great head of hair after youve gotten used to it. you really will feel bald, but dont worry, youre not :) we all feel that way after a takedown. i have clip ins that i still wear between installs, just in case im needing an extra pick-me-up.
ashleybelle83

Postby HAIRHORE on Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:17 pm

Hello
HAIRHORE

Postby HAIRHORE on Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:23 pm

Oops.. Hello Everyone! Tape is absolutely you best bet as long as they are not large pieces.

POST EDITED BY ADMINISTRATOR TO REMOVE ADVERT

Please refer to the forum rules

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3

Advertising will be allowed ONLY by active and contributing members. Please ONLY post adverts in the appropriate sections (Adverts/Reviews) Absolutely no FLOODING with adverts. And when appropriate please use Private Messaging for personal business dealings. All adverts by non contributing members will be deleted. Also, advertising outside of the Adverts/Reviews area may be deleted
HAIRHORE

Next

Return to Extensions