Extensions in Crown Area

Talk about, or get help with Shrinks, Links, Fusion, Weaves, Wefts or any extensions method

Moderator: clipinqueen

Extensions in Crown Area

Postby mariec5454 on Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:53 am

Okay, this is my attempt at placing extensions in the crown area that are not flat to the head. The extensions that can be seen are on the right, wrapping around to the back/crown area, all the way to the left. The left side is covered with my own hair. Yes, I'm one of those that like a little "poof" on top, not big hair, but a little lift.
mariec5454

Re: Extensions in Crown Area

Postby clipinqueen on Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:05 pm

Well...you did a pretty darn good job because I can't see anything! :LOL: It looks good from what I can see and very undetectable. Did you just use a machine weft, skin weft or hand-tied weft? Good job!
clipinqueen

Postby mariec5454 on Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:36 am

Thanks, clipinqueen. I used hand-tied wefts and attached them in vertical strips unto the tape.

Marie
mariec5454

Postby sherrie215 on Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:42 am

It looks very undetectable to me too...great job!
sherrie215
Site Admin

Postby finafina on Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:53 pm

OK that is TOTALLY undetectable. Can you elaborate a bit on how you did this?

My crown is the PERPETUALLY HORRIBLE part - because I have a big swirl and low part in the back.

Eagerly awaiting!
finafina

Postby mariec5454 on Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:54 am

I used hand-tied wefts, cut them in 3/4 in. strips and applied the strips vertically unto the 3/4 in. wefting tape with LG. With this method, you can use machine wefts also as the weft will not show. You can also make the strips smaller. Just match the size of the weft to the tape. I do recommend the wefting tape as it gives a more secure hold. I will attempt to post instructional pics later.

Thanks for your interest.

Marie
mariec5454

Postby clipinqueen on Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:55 pm

Oh, Marie; I think I get what you are doing now! It sounds very much like the 'Invisible part method'(check out youtube), except you are putting all the pieces onto tape first. That is genius. Much less time consuming than the original method. What do you use to seal the ends of your hand-tied wefts?
clipinqueen

Postby mariec5454 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:32 am

Clipinqueen, you are right!!! I seal the wefts with a clear glue from Mari Ari. http://www.mariarihair.com
mariec5454

Postby clipinqueen on Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:35 pm

I'm so glad you posted about your method Marie because I would have never thought of doing it that way! You are a smart chickie! I must try this. Great way to get hair up close to your part. Love it! :Y:
clipinqueen

Postby frenchie on Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:17 pm

Totally. Me too, gotta try this. I am afraid it wont look as natural as for you Marie, but I have to try to find out!!!
Frenchie
frenchie

Postby mariec5454 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:49 am

Thanks everyone!!!

Marie
mariec5454

Postby mariec5454 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:15 am

Here is a more detailed description of my method:

Go to You Tube and type in "invisible part method". There you will find a few videos describing this method. However, instead of placing the hair directly onto your own hair, I place mine on wefting tape first and then apply the tape to my crown area.

I initially started with a 3/4 inch tape, cut it in half, and then applied wefts to the tape. Unfortunately, I found that there wasn't enough hair to give me the fullness I wanted in the crown. So, next time, I used the 3/4 inch tape and cut the wefts to fit. Now, I also found that if you place the wefts at a slight angle as opposed to straight up and down, you will get more "lift" and "fullness".

You can either place the wefts touching each other, which will give you so much hair that you will not know what to do with, or you can leave a small space between the wefts, which is what I did and I will tell you why below. Now, I really use the extensions for a little fullness, not length. So all I use now is one row of these wefts in the crown area. Even with just one row, my hair is so full!!! You will see what I mean when you do this method!

Finally, the reason I place a small space between the wefts (and I mean small), is (1) placing the wefts back to back gives you so much hair (and I didn't need that much just for fullness); and (2) when you start wrapping the tape around to the back of the head, you can cut small slits in between the wefts (at the bottom of the tape) to keep the tape from bunching up at the top. You will have a smoother application this way. However, I have found that the wefting tape is stronger and slightly thicker and does a superior job for this method.

I hope that I have given you a clearer picture, without a picture (LOL!!!) of how I do this method.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

Marie
mariec5454

Postby clipinqueen on Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:36 pm

:Y: :=D>: Awesome explanation Marie! Thanks for that. I'm definitely going to give it a try.
clipinqueen

Postby mariec5454 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:59 am

You're welcome clipinqueen!
mariec5454

Return to Extensions