New to hair extensions - HELP!

Talk about, or get help with Shrinks, Links, Fusion, Weaves, Wefts or any extensions method

Moderator: clipinqueen

New to hair extensions - HELP!

Postby Dee_Tea on Tue May 07, 2013 12:54 am

This is my first time with fusion hair extensions, and although I LOVE them, I have a few questions!

1) The girl who put them in, said that I shouldn't leave them in for longer than three months because they'll start to tangle and that's what causes the hair to damage when they are being removed. Where will they tangle? Between the scalp and the bond? Orr just in general with the extensions and my real hair?

2) What do you guys recommend to keep them moisturized? My real hair is VERY fine and soft, and I notice the extensions to be a BIT more coarse and dry - any tips on blending them more?

When I feel close to my scalp, some of the hair between the scalp and the bond feels straight, but some of it feels bumpy and uneven, is that normal? I'm getting VERY paranoid that it's going to mat - I want my hair to look healthy when I get them taken out, as it's very fine and thin as it is.

Any other tips or tricks I should know about?

Thanks so much :D
Dee_Tea

Re: New to hair extensions - HELP!

Postby clipinqueen on Tue May 07, 2013 11:33 am

Hey Dee; welcome to the world of extensions and the forum!

I may not be much help because I've never worn fusion extensions, but I will try hard.

1. This is good advice. They will likely start to tangle above the bond. I believe trapped hair (your natural fallen hair) gets caught in the bonds and becomes a real hassle to get rid of. There are probably other good reasons as well. But you should never wear extensions for longer than 3 months anyway because your hair will grow and the fusion will be hanging/weighing on your roots as it grows out.

2. My tip is to condition, condition, condition. Make sure you buy at least one good conditioning mask and apply it once a week. Also, brush well, but carefully while holding your hair at the roots. Brush from ends up to the roots and be as gentle as you can.

I've heard a lot of horror stories about fusion, especially with fine hair. As it grows it weighs on your fine natural hairs and can pull them out. Just be gentle and take care of your hair. Fusion would definitely not have been my first choice for extensions on fine hair. Put your hair up at night and possibly sleep on a satin pillow.

This is all I got. Hopefully, others will weigh in as well. Good luck!
clipinqueen

Postby Dee_Tea on Wed May 08, 2013 11:29 pm

Thank you so much for the advice - I really appreciate it!

I love the way they look, but I definitely don't want to damage my natural hair. I was not blessed in the hair department, so I'm always looking for ways to make my hair look fuller. Since you say you wouldn't choose fusion for fine hair - what method do you think is best?

From what I was reading on the internet, it seemed like my best option, then again, I am definitely no hair expert so I'm basically just believing what I'm reading!

I'll ride these out for the next three months (and love it while I'm at it) hopefully taking care of them as best as I can. I'm going to cry if I lose too much of my own hair when they come out. Any more advice on preventing any damage is GREATLY appreciated.
Dee_Tea

Postby Rocket22 on Sun May 12, 2013 11:38 am

I recommend the tape method. But maybe I'm partial. I have only done the tape and sew in and I find the tape to be awesome. I had them in for over 4 years and honestly had very little damage. I always recommend taking pictures after your take out each install because you will feel bald no matter what method you use, also It's a good way to monitor how your hair is handling the extension. There is a ton of excellent information on this site to get you started, and of course if you have any questions just ask :)
Current install: Nothing at the moment.
Rocket22

Postby clipinqueen on Sat May 25, 2013 12:37 pm

I agree with Rocket --- tape is likely the way to go for you. I think when they recommend fusion for fine hair, they mean it 'looks' great on fine hair, but they will not tell you it isn't 'healthy' for fine hair. Fine hair doesn't need a lot of hair to make it fuller, so fusion pays off in that respect.

If I were you, I would not leave your extensions in for 3 months. I know you want to get your money's worth out of it, but it will damage your hair after that long if you aren't taking care of it properly. Actually, I just don't think three months is that healthy for any hair to wear extensions.

Good luck with it though and be very gentle to your hair (brushing, styling).
clipinqueen

Postby veronica on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:51 am

How do you like you fusion extensions? From my experience the fusion with glue was very bad for my hair.
But I liked the pinch braids extensions. They did not cause so much damage, but it was harder to hide them or style them. I like tapes, but still have some damage with them. I think my hair do not like glue so much. I have never tried the saw-ins. For me the clip-ins are the best for now.
veronica

Postby zephyr on Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:21 am

When your hair is wet always separate each bond from its partner, this way the extensions will not tangle at the roots. Condition from midlength downwards should help. All the best :D
Zephyr Beau-Bradley (tutor)
ILM TRAINER - CITY & GUILDS

http://www.connect-2-hair.co.uk
CONNECT-2-HAIR TRAINING ACADEMY
zephyr

Return to Extensions