Extension Matting Tape In Donna Bella & ClipFancy

Talk about, or get help with Shrinks, Links, Fusion, Weaves, Wefts or any extensions method

Moderator: clipinqueen

Extension Matting Tape In Donna Bella & ClipFancy

Postby Dilarah D on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:35 am

Hello All!

I'm a bit new to extensions - I started to wear them regularly about a year ago. I had an install of Donna Bella tape-in extensions about two and a half weeks ago, and prior to this I wore clip in quad wefts of supposedly A+ VIP grade remy from ClipFancy. I only have a half head of extensions for fullness mostly, as my natural hair is almost waist length, and quite fine. I feel as though I have researched and read a good deal prior to making each purchase, and have spent what I think is a lot of money on the extensions I have used so far - but I cannot seem to get extensions that do not have the TERRIBLE matting! =(

Maybe its just that my perception of terrible matting is skewed, and my expectations are too high, but it seems like no matter what I do, I end up with a big nest at the nape of my neck - and I am talking about within a few hours of brushing, my hair could house a small family of sparrows! It is so disturbing - is that normal?

I feel like I take good care of my hair - I only wash about two or three times a week, only lathering my scalp and roots, and use MOP hydrating sulfate free shampoo and hydrating conditioner. I deep condition, use coconut oil and moroccan oil serums. Use hot tools maybe twice a month tops, never flat iron!

Do hair extensions just hate me?

My natural hair is as long as the 22 inch tape ins I am wearing, and I do love the way the extensions make it so much fuller and longer even, and how comfortable they are compared to the clip ins I was wearing, (which btw matted just the same but I would only wear out or to work) but I am getting so many mats now that I know I am going to have lost a good bit of hair when these come out from just the excessive brushing. Typically with my natural hair I would brush after each wash, but then after that I could get rid of the snarls with just my fingers between washings.

I have read so much online about how matting is to be expected so I'm not saying that I wasn't expecting a good brush out every night, but as it is now I need to get to a bathroom every three hours or so and sit for 10 minutes at least combing out the nest, and the amount of hair that comes out in my brush now each time is freaking me out a little tbh. What do I do? Is this normal? o.O

Also - Donna Bella pre tapped tape ins - good, bad? Any opinions and recommendations for better would be so appreciated! They were recommended by my stylist, who also wears them. I feel the quality of the hair from DB is much much better than the VIP remy from ClipFancy - the ClipFancy wefts were so coarse and did not blend well with my natural hair. I have been reading here and the general consensus seems to be that tape-ins are probably the best choice for someone with fine hair, but the thread I found is a couple years old - any new opinions?

Apologies for the long post - I guess all this has been building up for the last week or so & thank you so much for any advice you ladies may have!
explore. dream. discover.
Dilarah D

Re: Extension Matting Tape In Donna Bella & ClipFancy

Postby LauraJ on Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:52 pm

In MY experience the matting could be because your natural is same length as the extension hair even if they are 100% human the different textures may be causing friction
LauraJ

Postby LauraJ on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:15 pm

I've been thinking & maybe your extensions are dry after a few days of not washing mine they are quite matted so I give them a hot oil treatment & they are like new
LauraJ

Postby frenchie on Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:47 pm

Hi Dilarah,
Are your extensions "remy" or "remi" hair? It should be written on the package and website.
If it is not mentionned, you probably dont have remy hair, which is why it is matting.
Non remy hair is a total waste of time. There is a coating on them that keeps the hair silky for a short while, once it wears out, you're left with hair that is not cuticle aligned, which will inevitably tangle like hell.
Frenchie
frenchie

Postby clipinqueen on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:32 pm

LauraJ wrote:In MY experience the matting could be because your natural is same length as the extension hair even if they are 100% human the different textures may be causing friction

This is the way I am leaning. I think it could be a difference in textures and the fact that you don't heat style. Try blow drying or flat ironing/curling the hair with your own hair after you wash it. Does it make a difference? Also, the hair could be just prone to shedding a lot. Not much you can do there. I order a European/Russian/Malaysian hair (higher quality but could just be Chinese!) from a Chinese seller. It is great hair, but I sometimes notice if I don't use heat on my own hair (which is naturally curly) along with the extensions, I will get tangling --- not matting. My hair must be smooth with the extension hair. Or, maybe you just got a bad batch of hair. so many factors play into matting hair.
clipinqueen

Postby frenchie on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:40 am

True.
In my experience matting is usually caused by
1. bad hair (non remy)
2. bad placement (too much hair at the nape and maybe an install that's been rushed)
Frenchie
frenchie

Return to Extensions