lace wig application disaster

Talk about wigs, hairpieces, clip ons in here!

Moderator: clipinqueen

lace wig application disaster

Postby metalgirl70 on Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:40 am

I am so sick of having to clip in my extensions . When I clip them in it hurts me head. My hair is too thin and weak to support any type of permanent extension either.

Anyway, I shelled out $800 for two custom lace wigs. They are beautiful. I tried to apply one of them today and it was horrible. I was sweating (it's so hot in CA) and the adhesive wouldn't stick. I tried for 3 hours to get that wig to stick, and I just ended up with tons of adhesive my my natural hair.

I spent several hours watching youtube videos on how to apply. Those ladies make it look easy. It's not easy.

I actually cried over this. I will try to reapply that wig in a few days, when I'm not so emotional.

I just want nice hair... is that too much to ask?
metalgirl70

Re: lace wig application disaster

Postby DivaVocals on Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:34 pm

No it is not too much to ask.. Girl thank you for providing the OTHER side to this lace wig craze.. I have a friend who cannot GRASP why some women find the application process difficult.. Hell I can look at it and see why.. I feel your frustration.. the application and my very HAIRY hairline are why I've shied away from lace wigs.. -- regular human hair wigs?? count me in.. :Y:
Anyway.. here's a beer on me.. :drinkers: Take a break, and come at this tomorrow.. and if you need a few more beers until you reach your goal, I'll keep 'em cold and keep 'em coming!! :D

Of course you KNOW it goes without saying I wanna see picks after your first successful application.. :D
I'm a diva because YOU can't tell me I'm not

Links to my fav vendors & hair albums + weave information: http://divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com
Let us design your web presence: http://www.overthehillweb.com
DivaVocals

Postby 510queen on Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:40 am

I feel your pain!! Ive been there and stopped doing it b/c of the apps not coming out right! I see ur in CA, what part? I'm there too. Also what helped me was to do my apps at night when It cooled down some.

HTH
Kevin CN light yaki with closure
510queen

Postby metalgirl70 on Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:09 pm

I will try again with the wig when it cools down. I think the whole process just takes practice.

I live about 35 miles NE of Sacramento, in the foothills as you head toward South Lake Tahoe.

I'll post pictures when I finally have an successful attempt.
metalgirl70

Postby FabulousHairExt on Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:16 am

I know this is a little late but I just wanted to see any updates? I remember the first time I tryed to apply one, OMG I was in tears too. What type of adheasive are you using? Are you using a scalp prep (this makes a huge diff. in how the glue stays on). Tape is an easy way to apply. My favorite adheasive is a white cream by mslola it's reallllllly easy to use and stays put for me and many others! HTH
"Love me, Hate me! Say what you want about me, but all the boys and all the girls are begging to IF YOU SEEK AMY"!

www.myspace.com/GlamHairGoddess
FabulousHairExt

Postby metalgirl70 on Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:28 am

Well I finally have my wig on and it looks half-way decent!

I really hated dealing with my natural hair under the wig, so I went down to a stylist in Sacramento and she corn rowed my hair in a straight back pattern. I now can more easily put the wig on and off without any of my natural hair getting in the adhesive.

I have used Ms. Lola's cream and it is my favorite, especially combined with supertape. I am experimenting with the black bottle of Dalvyn, but I don't know if that is the adhesive for me. I had slight lifting in front just within hours, so I touched up those spots with Ms. Lola's cream.

Well see what happens when I go to the gym tomorrow and work out and shower! I am hoping that I can get a good bond for at least 1 week between applications.

Wig caps are the devil, I decided. There is no way I can conceal the edge of the wig cap underneath the front, so I don't wear a wig cap. I spray the underside of the base with Sally Hansen tanning spray, a handy tip I picked up from the fabulous divas over at BHM board.

So, I'll post a photo. The application is still way messy, I have baby hairs pasted to my forehead! Getting this application technique down is not for the lazy, that's for sure. It takes work and lots of practice to get it right.

This is a custom wig that I custom colored. It was a two tone: dark brown on top and blond on the bottom. I colored the underneath part with funky colors (blue and teal) and I put in burgundy high lights in the top.

metalgirl70

Postby metalgirl70 on Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:40 pm

Update on the wig:

As soon as I worked out at the gym, the wig started lifting all over. I spent 4 hours cleaning the wig, and my skin and tried to reapply the wig. It just don't bond very good for me. It's messy and too much trouble. I think my lace wig days are over.
metalgirl70

Postby sherrie215 on Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:17 am

So sorry to hear it isnt going so well with the lace wig, although I must say it looks beautiful!
sherrie215
Site Admin

Postby clipinqueen on Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:23 pm

I know I'm late on this, but I wanted to say how great that wig looks. You did such a great job on the colouring too! Too bad it wouldn't stay on. Would you consider adding clips to it and wearing it that way? You could even just adhere the very front and clip the rest. OR, you could turn it into a closure (like the pieces you bought) and clip-ins -- don't let it go to waste!
clipinqueen

Return to Wigs and Hair Pieces