Kaleidocolors Violet problem & possible Lemonade solution?

Ask for advice on coloring, bleaching, etc.

Moderator: clipinqueen

Kaleidocolors Violet problem & possible Lemonade solution?

Postby valentine319 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:23 pm

I really miss bleaching my hair with kaleidocolors violet but the problem I had before was that even though I did not overlap hair when I was washing it out the violet would catch on the previously bleached hair and be light baby blue for about a week. I'm wondering if the lemonade would fix that or if anyone had suggestions. I rinse for 30 minutes and actually wash my hair 4 times so it's not the problem of me not rinsing it enough. I've been using 7th stage but I so miss the color the violet came out.
Valentine
valentine319

Re: Kaleidocolors Violet problem & possible Lemonade solution?

Postby DLY303 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:17 am

I really want to try those Kaleidocolors! Most people have said they come out beautifully. It just seems that bleach and toner in the same process would not work, but apparently they do from what you are saying. I have heard they are more damaging than plain old bleach with 20 vol though. Anyway, sorry to hear about the blue tone you are getting.

Have you tried coating the already bleached part of the hair shaft with loads of conditioner while you are bleaching? It might help divert some of the initial rinse water.
DLY303

Postby valentine319 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:32 am

I have not tried coating it. I haven't used it in a couple years. I thought it was causing breakage but to be honest my thyroid problems could have caused it. The thyroid issues messed with my hair alot. I still have breakage with the 7th stage but I can't say if it is the bleach or the damage from thyroid growing out or combo but I can't get as much yellow out. I can't honestly say if it is more damaging. When I used kaleidocolors before I did 30 volume and heat. This time I would do 20 and a bit of heat. I think the damage comes by increasing the volume to speed up the time. I've seen a couple of notes online with individuals saying tide will remove any left over colors from blonde hair.

Kaleidocolors does beautifully at toning the hair. I'm thinking I'm just going to do a bleach with it and see. I'm going to mix in some oils to help prevent the damage. I think I'm just going to have to wing it and see what happens. I always do a deep condition after a bleach and don't do a hair install for a day.
Valentine
valentine319

Postby DLY303 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:28 pm

Good luck with the bleaching! I was just reading the other day about adding oil to bleach. I have never heard the thing about tide. That sounds interesting. I wonder if a strong clarifying shampoo might work too?

I am sorry to hear about your health problems. I can totally relate. I have had three surgeries this year, two in the last four months. Between problems with my hormone levels and all the general anesthesia, I have lost a ton of hair to both breakage and falling out. I am probably going to have to get a radical cut this week to get the damaged hair off. ::^(]:

Anyway, once I get to blonde, I will probably maintain by myself like you are doing. Going to the stylist is just way too expensive. I think you are right about using the lower volume. I have been thinking about slowly lightening over several weeks going just 1-2 levels at a time with bleach and 10 volume since my hair is so damaged.
DLY303

Postby valentine319 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:32 am

I highly recommend, if you can afford it, Nioxin scalp treatment if you are losing some hair. I am using a Sally's brand Nutri-ox 3C and it seems to be helping. Everytime my thyroid shifts I lose a lot of hair. With my hair I really won't know for another year of being level how it's going to turn out. I find with the bleaching, I do a good deep conditioning afterwards, I sometimes sleep with the conditioner. My plan is to bleach, get something to remove or stop the blue from settling in, use a Redken fat cat treatment, then sleep with conditioner. I don't do an install until the day afterwards.

I can't really tell you if the Kaleidocolors is worse or the same as 7th stage. I was going through so many hormonal problems with the thyroid that it's not possible to tell. Also understand, before extensions I fought with my hair continually looking for the miracle items to make it long, thick and strong. I have trimmed it more because with extensions I tend to mess with it less. I do notice that if I pull it back like a ponytail I have almost 2 times the amount of hair. Unfortunately with the thyroid issues you just have to get things settled and wait for new hair to grow.
Valentine
valentine319

Postby valentine319 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:12 am

Well I went back to Kaleidocolors Violet. I used a mix of instant lemonade packets and hand soap to do a wash to remove the baby blue left. Worked like a charm. I love the way it tones the hair. I can't seem to get the same color with 7th stage. So from here I'll just condition it and see how it works out. But no baby blue! Thanks Sherrie!

After a good condition I do feel it is as good as 7th stage but conditioning is critical immediately following bleaching. I feel the damage caused a lot of time with bleach is the overlap. I'm extremely happy with the results.
Valentine
valentine319

Postby DLY303 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:44 am

Woo Hoo! I'm glad it worked out for you. I think I may try the violet or the blue. I just went to my stylist and had him lighten my base and add heavy highlights, but, they are soooo brassy. It seems like I get just as good of results on my own as going to a pro. I think I am going to try the kaleidocolors after my hair has a little rest.
DLY303

Postby valentine319 on Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:56 am

The violet leaves an irredecent white highlight, I install some kinda white highlights. The blue I have also used and bleaches an extra level. It does a great job of drabbing out the gold/yellow/orange. I have not tried the beige. I do want to stress it is instrumental to wash really well to get all of it out and put a great conditioner on your head overnight. It will dry your hair and as long as you do a good conditioner it's great. If you did an install instead of the conditioning before doing an install I could see you ending up with extra damage. No bleach is going to be 100% damage free. All will cause damage. I also have to say I kinda changed the way I'm bleaching my head. I will be slightly wetting and putting a lot of deep conditioner on my head before applying the bleach making sure to not overlap. Also, do not use just cream developer with it, it's too thick and not easy to use, the best way is to mix half cream & liquid developer. And remember it's better to go with a 20 volume and if you get scared pull it off, wash it and if not toned enough reapply. I do not recommend using a 30 volume, it will bleach faster but more damage. I also leave it a bit more than 10 minutes but I do not have a professional hair dryer to keep the whole thing heated, I put a disposable shower cap on and take a blow dryer to make it warm, cover in a towel and check at 10 minutes.

I did want to stress for those not looking for light blonde, it says 4 levels lift but I think it's more (unless I was doing something wrong with the 7th stage).
Valentine
valentine319

Return to Bleaching/Dying