Henna Info

Ask for advice on coloring, bleaching, etc.

Moderator: clipinqueen

Henna Info

Postby asinnamon on Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:22 pm

Ok, this is a better place for henna talk....

Ok, yes, henna is not something you can 'remove' from your hair. No, you do not only get red or blue black. There are many different shades from strawberry blonde to midnight black, just depends on on what your mix is and what things you are adding to the mix.

Now, IF you are using an actual henna product, you can color right over it w/ chemical colorant. Again, test just to be sure, but I have done it on extension hair.

No, henna is not cheap. If you are ordering many different things from mehandi.com, email them for an invoice or just call them. For some reason, each item adds shipping costs if you just order from the site.

Yes, save all your hair balls! Gross I know, but super important when you are testing our mixes.

4 ounces of hair, what length? I usually mix up 3 packs of henna at a time(just henna) and freeze it after dye release. Then when I use it, I thaw it, add my indigo and other stuff, then use it.

My personal mix:

2 parts henna
1/2 part cassia
1/2 indigo
teaspoon of amla
1/2 pkg. chocolate pudding
2 drops of dish liquid

To ger my dye release I use apple cider vineager. I used to use lemon juice but it was too drying for my ends. And no, you don't to just use henna and acid. You can mix w/ water and add maybe 1/2 cup of acid depending on how many pkgs of henna, indigo or whatever you are using.

Blaine - I'm not really sure how you would deal with your roots. Are you 100% silver? If I were you, I would search around on the forum or post that question there. I'm not really that grey yet, so I don't know how to deal with that.

The shine nor color fade much at all. You may get a smidgent of color fade, but it's more like a mellowing. In those photos of my hair I have not hennaed in probably 5 or 6 weeks, maybe longer. I usually henna my extensions too, exactly like I do my hair and it always comes out amazing. I may do a gloss just to redden up the 909 some. I'm darker then a 30 but not so dark as a 33, so I end up getting a 4 and hennaing for a perfect match.

I still have a few inches left of chemically colored then color fixed then colored again hair. I think that is why I still have such trouble with split ends. Aside from the last few inches, my hair is in great condition.

When doing your tests Blaine, don't forget to wait a few days before really assessing the color. Henna and indigo really need a few days to oxidize before they become thier true color. Especially when you use indigo because it works right away, yet the henna needs a few days to get to where it's going. My roots are ALWAYS MUCH brighter the first day and I think OMG! what am I gonna do, but I wait a day and it's perfect.

Also, major caution here: ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS use gloves!!!! Protect any pourous surface and use glass or metal mixing impliments. Indigo stains, henna can stain(use bleach to clean any surface the has a stain)......but, if you get it on your skin, it's staying there for a few days. Use some vaseline around your hair line(on your skin only) and on your ears. This stuff is meant to stain skin & keratin surfaces and you can turn orange inside of 30 seconds w/ dye released henna. I have done this more times then I care to mention. It does wear off your skin, but it's best to avoid getting it where you don't want it.

Don't let all the prep work scare you! Henna gets a bad wrap from the 'hair professional world' simply because there is so much compound henna out there. If you have used a compound henna unknowingly, then go in to get your hair colored or permed and all your hair falls out, who is liable? So, unfortuanly, stylists don't have any training with henna except to stay away. When you see products like 'blonde henna' or 'brown henna' or god forbid 'black henna', none of those are actually pure henna. DO NOT ever use something called black henna. It is not henna at all and can be very dangerous.

Henna is permenant. But, if you dye your hair red, why is this a bad thing? I don't know, I love it. Plus, now there are more natural plant products out there that allow you to get more nuetral shades instead of just red. You can mix w/ amla or buxus for different results. So, order the sample sizes first, test w/ your hair balls and see what you think!
Current Install: Belorio & Singer's Tape
asinnamon

Re: Henna Info

Postby blainewitch on Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:04 am

Thank you Asinnamon. I am going to go on tomorrow and order more samples. My roots on top are quite silver, probably 50%, I have a spot on my bangs that is solid. In the back and lower sides my roots are only about 20% silver. I have only dyed my roots on top for the past few times. I would say that I currenly have 6 weeks of re-growth on my lower roots that no one can see. I may try some samples on these spots to see how the color turns out on my gray. If I can find a color that works well over my silver and brown, then I can have some great natural streaking. :D Maybe :?: Ok, I'm a very positive thinker. hehehe
blainewitch

Postby blainewitch on Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:10 pm

Guess what I have on my head right now, for the next 3 hours????? :D
I only have it on my roots. I took pictures before and will take some after for comparison. I want to see how the gray sucks up the color. I did 50/50 henna/indigo, with 1 part alma.
blainewitch

Postby blainewitch on Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:47 pm

I'm done! My silver roots came out orange, but I am not disappointed. I don't want orange hair, but:
1. The color will deepen over the next couple of days.
2. I was more afraid that they would come out black and that is tough to remove. I went light on the Indigo to prevent that from happening.
3. I've read that it takes a few applications for gray to reach the desired color.
4. They look better than they did silver. When they are silver I look as though I have bald spots.

I took pix, but my pix are bad. I can't keep still so they all come out blurry, also I think I used flash for my before, but not for my after. My hair really is as dark as the before, the after just looks light .... but it's not .... just orange. :LOL: :LOL:

This is with silver roots.

This is with orange.

I am going to continue with it. Next time will be after my extension take down. I may do a 2 step process, first Henna then Indigo on the roots. The Indigo may turn out black over my existing dye so I have to figure out my ratios.

I knew it would take a while to get it down .... so I am happy overall with my results.
blainewitch

Postby blainewitch on Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:49 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that even chemical dyes turn out red on my silver roots. I have to use a darker and 'neutral' dye on them to keep them from being bright red.
I typically use a 3N on my roots and a 4BBR on my hair.
blainewitch

Postby asinnamon on Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:58 pm

I'M SOOOO PROUD OF YOU!!!!! Excellent job Blaine! So, how are your roots today? They should be coming in nicely by now....When you added your indigo, you did it right before application right?

I gotta henna sometime this week too....I'm going to try to leaving my tapes in :-k and [-o< they don't fall out.
asinnamon

Postby blainewitch on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:46 am

It's darkening a bit, but still pretty orange. I am gonna play with my samples this weekend and if my roots are still too orange I am gonna try a hidden spot with Indigo only.

I mixed my Henna the night before, and my alma the night before. I mixed the Indigo a few minutes before mixing them all together. Doing roots only was not as messy as I thought it would be. I think that my whole head won't be so bad either, because I don' t have a lot of natural hair. I hope I can get this down. I really like the concept. :D And, I love the shimmer of the hair! :D
blainewitch

Postby asinnamon on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:34 am

Mix your Alma right before you henna, maybe 20 minutes or so. I think it demises quickly??

I'm glad you are experimenting! I love playing with henna! Oh, and you ought to try the Yemen if you haven't. It isn't SO orange and gives the best gray coverage.
asinnamon

Postby valentine319 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:11 pm

Has anyone used just the cassia clear to add shine and gloss? They call it clear henna. Just trying to get some feedback.
Valentine
valentine319

Postby asinnamon on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:36 pm

Yup, I use it. I love it, it really adds shine. However, test first with it. Frenchie tried some cassia on her bohyme and it turned a funny color.... And, don't leave it overnight or it will get dye release and can make your blonde brassy...
asinnamon

Postby blainewitch on Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:54 pm

Oh, and you ought to try the Yemen if you haven't. It isn't SO orange and gives the best gray coverage.

Ye, that's the one I bought.
I am trying to achieve this color:

http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/nika/

I get confused because there are so many conflicting options,some say not to add coffee, some say to add coffee, same with red wine and vinegar. I think the vinegar warning is only because it's stinky. Next time I will try mixing the alma just before. It's fun to play with. I wish I could stay home for work and play with my samples. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I hope I can get it all figured out so that some day my hair will be beautiful, super healthy, and shiny like Asinnimon's hair. :D
blainewitch

Postby asinnamon on Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:49 am

everyone's mixes are different. i used to add cloves, but my scalp started stinging after a few times and i didn't really see it doing anything so I stopped adding it. i pretty much follow Catherine's instructions and advice(no coffee, no red wine, no hot water), but I add a few things that she doesn't talk about. First, I use about 1/2 - to MAYBE 3/4 cup of apple cider vineager, it depends on how much henna & cassia I'm mixing up. The rest of my liquid is water, cold. After that is just to mashed potato consistency, I cover w/ plastic wrap and pop it in the oven overnight, with only the light on in the oven. By morning I have amazing color release. Then, I mix up my amla and or indigo, if Im using them. You must mix and add your indigo right away, do not let it sit! Indigo demises quickly and if you wait 30 minutes to put it on your hair, you hve lost about half of it's useful life. And make sure you mix mix mix it into your henna, then mix some more....

Then I add 1/2 package of chocolate pudding and 1 or 2 DROPS of dish liquid. I do this for consistency. I feel that when I add those things, my henna goes a lot further, it's easier to mush into my hair and it rinses easier. I also don't get any drizzles of henna running down my forehead when I use that mix...

Oh, and one more thing, if you add alma to any henna that goes on your extensions expect the wave pattern to become more wavy.
asinnamon

Postby Katie on Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:36 am

Oh, I so want to do this!

I used henna years ago (not the kind for painting skin, it was more like chopped, dried herbs) and I am sure it wasn't as good as this, but even then the color was beautiful and my hair was soft and shiny as could be. I only stopped from basic laziness (and the store where I bought it moved to a different town--this was pre-Internet.)

What does the chocolate pudding do?

I wonder if I could use it with my micro-links still in?
Katie

Postby blainewitch on Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:40 am

I used it with Lg wefts in place. I think it would work better with microlinks than glued in wefts. :D
blainewitch

Postby asinnamon on Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:44 pm

The pudding gives the henna almost a fluffy texture. It just makes application easier....

I haven't ever tried w/ extensions in. I think roots would be fine w/ micro links, but I don't know about the whole length because of weight. Henna does get really heavy. I dunno :?
asinnamon

Next

Return to Bleaching/Dying