Henna Info

Ask for advice on coloring, bleaching, etc.

Moderator: clipinqueen

Re: Henna Info

Postby blainewitch on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:16 pm

I think roots would be fine w/ micro links, but I don't know about the whole length because of weight. Henna does get really heavy. I dunno :?

That makes a lot of sense .... I didn't even think about the weight .... that would be a lot of stress on my hair. I only did roots.
blainewitch

Postby Katie on Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:52 am

I wonder if using a plastic bag on the hair would help with the weight?

Would it interfere with the henna--does it need oxygen while it is coloring?

Blaine, how does your hair look now that the color has settled?
Katie

Postby blainewitch on Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:00 am

I wrapped a plastic bag around my hair with the henna on it, then I put a ski 'head band' around the edges and wrapped a piece of cloth around my head. I wanted to use a ski cap, but I couldn't find one (in my house) that I was willing to stain. I need to buy a cheap one that I can ruin, this will be easier than using a towel. I read that most people wrap their head in plastic wrap and then a towel (for warmth). So plastic over the henna is a good thing, it doesn't need oxygen.

My roots are still too bright. But, the part that I henna'd was completely silver and I only did it one time. It's tough for the silver hair to pick up color. The brown pieces turned out beautiful, unfortunately for me, the top of my head is mostly silver. I plan to go over them with more Indigo tomorrow. I also get to test lots of samples since it will finally be Saturday. :D I will mix up some henna tonight,
blainewitch

Postby Katie on Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:57 am

Post pictures when you are done--I wanna see!

I was wondering if wrapping it in a bag would help ease the weight of the henna on the bonds?
Katie

Postby blainewitch on Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:54 pm

I have some on my roots again right now and I have samples in bags on top of my hot water heater. I will take pix of how the samples turn out. My root pix don't turn out well, too blurry. I wiggle too much.
blainewitch

Postby blainewitch on Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:00 pm

My roots turned out great! That is what I will have to do, a 2-step process, with mostly indigo on the roots.
My hair samples are interesting. I will take pix later, after the colors deepen to their true colors.

I tested using my harvested hair and some Bohyme SS color #4 that I had died to a level 2.

The Henna (2 parts) / Alma (1 part) lightened the Bohyme a little bit and gave it a wave slight wave pattern. I didn't have enough of my hair to try with this one. I wonder if the astringent in the Alma cause the dye to lighten because it turned out close to a level 4?

The Henna (1 part) / Indigo (1 part) / Alma (1/2 part) turned out very dark, both on the Bohyme and on my hair. I read that hair that has been dyed with chemical dyes will pick up too much of the indigo and that's exactly what it did. The Alma created a slight wave pattern on this one too.

The Henna only turned out just right, not too red and not too black. It added a slight red sheen to the hair, both on mine and the Bohyme. On my hair it may be a tiny bit too red???? Not sure yet?
blainewitch

Postby Katie on Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:39 am

Does your hair match the extensions when you do it?

Everytime I see this thread, I wind up rooting around on that henna site :LOL:
Katie

Postby blainewitch on Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:18 am

I have only just started. I have only colored my roots. After 2 applications the do match my (dyed) hair color. All of my extension hair is dyed too so my testing was to figure out how to make sure they match before I re-install. Browns are quite easy to match, in comparison to blonds. :D

Asinnamon's hair matches perfectly. She is the experienced Henna girl. I am followning her directives and reading the henna sight like crazy. ;)

Did you see all the beautiful colors the women achieve? They amaze me. :D
blainewitch

Postby Katie on Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:49 am

Oh, yes! They are gorgeous and have me drooling!

I like this one best, I think: http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/lauried/

She put lots of paprika in.

I like this one, too: http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/ccj.html

It is just henna and lemon.

DId you read the mix instructions for the gel? One you strain (she said is was a stone mess) but that it was a lot easier to apply and rinse out. One of them (the strained one) she said was not as heavy, so I am thinking that would be better to keep it from pulling out the microlinks.

One said she put sandalwood powder in, and one said patchouli (she didn't say powder or oil) for the scent. I think that sounds wonderful :D
Katie

Postby Katie on Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:49 am

I broke down and ordered the Punjabi henna...and a half-ton of other stuff :oops:
Katie

Postby blainewitch on Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:08 am

Those are both beautiful. I didn't read the one with the gel .... now I am gonna have to look for it ..... I'm intrigued. :D

I'm glad you ordered. I am excited to henna my hair again in about a week, either right before or right after Christmas. I received my big order yesterday. I think I need some more Alma. I only ordered 25 g, because I didn't think I would use much of it .... but I have a set of Bohyme bodywave extensions that I want to henna with Alma. I think the Alma will really help to bring out the curl.

I was debating if I would wear that Bohyme BW or my Shapeshifter wefts next time .... I think I just found my answer. I don't think I will receive more Alma in time to wear the BW .... so Shapeshifter it is.

I better order more Alma today, so I can Henna that BW over break, :D .
blainewitch

Postby Katie on Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:52 pm

The gel mixes are here: http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/annsophie/

I think they are at the bottom. (I had to bookmark the page because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to find it again--I get lost in there, clicking away :P )

The only thing different was you boil up some pectin to add with it. Unless you do the one where you strain it. There is one that says "untried" where you put it in a cheesecloth "bag" and moosh itaround. I think that one sounds the least messy. I thought I would try that on some testing hair.

Are you using the alma for curl or to tame the color? I wonder if using the alma seperately would dull the red? I like the idea of curl, but not of making the red less red, ya know?
Katie

Postby blainewitch on Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:57 pm

The Alma added curl.
blainewitch

Postby Katie on Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:30 am

Days later...

My husband took the extensions out of my hair last night, so I mixed up a batch of henna and spent the day with it on my head :D

Right now, my head *glows* :LOL: And the skunk stripe in my bangs is Post-it Neon Orange. But it is already starting to calm down.

I used 200g of the Punjabi, 60g of paprika and 30g of tumeric. I think maybe I used too much tumeric, but I'll wait and see how it settles in. (I got the tumeric all over everything :roll: Just like when I make Indian food.)

I put a ton of cardamom in there, too, but it didn't seem to make it smell like cardamom.

(I ordered some patchouli powder, but it *still* hasn't come in. I think it is coming by mule or something.)

I didn't make a big mess--which is amazing for me. It was less of a mess than hair dye, really.

I am wondering how soon is too soon to do it again? I am pleased with the grey coverage, but want it to build up on my hair quicker.

I didn;t do the gel mix--I thought I would start out with the regular way and work my way up ;)
Katie

Postby blainewitch on Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:15 pm

Katie, I am hooked!

I agree that it less of a mess than dye. I love it and I LOVE the smell. I get sad when the smell goes away after a week. I have now been using it for 2 months. I have only done 1 entire head henna, with a 2nd step of indigo .... but I have done 4 root touch ups with a henna and indigo combined. I add a lot of ground cloves to my mix and it smells so spicy.

I henna'D the extensions I am wearing now and they smelled so good to me. The smell is gone .... so I want to do it again.

I absolutely LOVE the color! I don't think it will show up in pix, but it has such a beautiful glow in sunlight and florescent light. I CANNOT BELIEVE HOW MANY COMPLIMENTS I HAVE RECEIVED, FROM BOTH STRANGERS AND PEOPLE I KNOW.

I also love how it feels, it's so soft and 'coated' with 'protective'. I don't even know how to describe how good my hair feels ... just better than ever. It cured my frizzies.

My color looks great and I don't think I will need to re-henna my whole head when I take my extensions down, but I'm sure that I will re-henna, just to get the smell back ... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I used to always re-dye when I took down my extensions, because I had to. Chemical hair color seems to look dull as it ages .... henna stays shiny.

I am so happy that I switched to henna. I have no problem wearing it wrapped up for a few hours, I just do my chores and work out with my head wrapped. When I did my whole head with henna, I slept in it.

I LOVE HENNA .... THANKS SO MUCH ASINNAMON FOR INTRODUCING ME TO IT!!! :D :D :D \:D/
blainewitch

PreviousNext

Return to Bleaching/Dying