Henna Info

Ask for advice on coloring, bleaching, etc.

Moderator: clipinqueen

Re: Henna Info

Postby Katie on Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:55 am

:LOL: I'm glad you like the smell!

I don't *hate* the smell--there are just other things I like to smell better--like the patchouli and sandalwood powders that came in the mail today--wouldn't you know it? :roll:

I am going to try to post a picture. This is tonight, with a flash (assuming I can figure out how to upload...)
Attachments
IMG_0221-1.JPG
(18.01 KiB) Downloaded 680 times
Katie

Postby Katie on Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:56 am

Well, begorry there it is!

Sorry it is not clear--I wiggle, too :LOL:

And yes--Thank you Assinamon!
Katie

Postby Runner on Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:45 am

blainewitch wrote: It cured my frizzies.

Danggit Blainewitch...don't get me hooked :weedman: into this one too!!!! I'm bad enough with extensions!!!!

arrrrgghhh can you tell me your formula? I'm trying to get my hair back to a #2 and the dang frizzies are killin me. My hair color has faded to #5-#6 and I'm not liking it. It's too brassy, ugh.

Umm and can you post a pic of your new color? I'd love to see that.
Current Install :
21" Malaysian Virgin Remy 6oz
Installed with LG skin-weft style.
Runner

Postby blainewitch on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:45 am

Here are some pix of my new color .. Henna

The first couple are with flash, the last ones without.

blainewitch

Postby Runner on Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:54 am

Holy crap that is beautiful Blainewitche!!!!

So, um..what's your formula?

Is that the RLI hair you are wearing too? Geeeez that looks gorgeous!!!!
Current Install :
21" Malaysian Virgin Remy 6oz
Installed with LG skin-weft style.
Runner

Postby blainewitch on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:29 am

Yes, I am wearing the RLI hair.

I don't have much of a formula, I guess at my measurements. I try not to get too much indigo on my previously dyed hair.

The 1st time I did my entire head, I used only henna (mixed with lemon juice that I let sit all day before applying to release the dye). I did add about 2 tbsp. ground cloves for smell only. I slept with my head wrapped in plastic then a thin (t-shirt material) 'turban'. Then I had to do a 2nd step of indigo only on my roots, I left it on 1 hour which was too long .... next time no more than 20 - 30 minutes, even that may be too long.

The 3 times I touched up my roots I used 50/50 henna/indigo, with some (less than equal part) alma and a few tbsp cloves. I love the smell when I add cloves, I don't really care that much for it without cloves. I wear this for several hours while I exercise and do my Saturday chores.

This 2nd time I did my whole head, I was out of cloves and I did not wait for the henna dye to release (but it did and I got plenty of color), indigo, and alma. My hair was looking light so I decided to add indigo to the whole head mix. I used about 3 parts henna/ 1 part indigo/1 part alma. I used a small amount of lemon juice then the rest boiling water.

So, I don't really do anything special, but I do like it a lot. :D
blainewitch

Postby asinnamon on Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:02 am

Geez, I forgot all about this thread! I'm glad you gals are liking the henna! Wait until it's ummer and the sun shines on your hair!! It's so much healthier too, IMO.

Easy on the tumeric Katie, that will make you pretty yellowy I think....Oh, and blaine, watch out for too much clove, it can burn your scalp if you use too much. I found that out the hard way.

Personally, I LOVE that smell of cassia. It smells like tea to me :LOL:
Current Install: Belorio & Singer's Tape
asinnamon

Postby Katie on Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:01 pm

Yes, Asinammom, it was pretty yellow!

I did it again before we put the extensions back in, and hennaed the extensions, too. This time I cut the tumeric in half, and added red sandalwood powder (although I am pretty sure red sandalwood needs alkiline for dye release).

It is a lot redder now. Still coppery, but not as yellow.

I have a patch of green hair in the back. Not because of the henna, but because it is a spot of completely different color and texture from the rest of my head :? The woman who cuts my hair says it is not actually green, but that it is very ashy and that makes me think it is green. It is a lot *less* green to me with the henna, but still a completely different color--except in the sun.

I'll try to get another picture so you can see your pupil's progress :LOL:

Blaine--your hair looks beautiful!
Katie

Postby Katie on Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:34 pm

Asinnamom, ho do you do a "gloss?"

I read something on the Henna board about it, and gathered that you mix the (color-released) henna with conditioner, but is there a formula, or do you just mix enough conditioner to coat the length of your hair?

My roots need a whack of the real stuff, but I didn't want to do my whole head, since the links are in.
Katie

Postby clipinqueen on Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:12 pm

Hello, I was reading about henna removal on another professional hairstylists' site and thought this might be useful to someone here. Very interesting:

(as per Kathy, BCH)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"In the olden days [when I went to beauty school, dinosaurs roamed the earth] we removed henna with a henna removal treatment. Here is what you do: saturate the dry hair thoroughly with rubbing alcohol. Apply a generous amount of mineral oil over that, bag and heat for at least 25 mins. an hour is good if there is a build-up. Apply shampoo directly to the hair and lather THEN rinse and shampoo again. You should see henna come off in the bag if there is enough of it on the hair.
The application of water before shampoo will prevent the oil from coming off!
Do not be surprised if the hair appears shorter. Sometimes chronic henna users have such a build-up that the hair has disappeared.
love, Kathy"
clipinqueen

Postby asinnamon on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:20 am

Katie wrote:Asinnamom, ho do you do a "gloss?"

I read something on the Henna board about it, and gathered that you mix the (color-released) henna with conditioner, but is there a formula, or do you just mix enough conditioner to coat the length of your hair?

My roots need a whack of the real stuff, but I didn't want to do my whole head, since the links are in.

I dunno actually, I gotta do my roots and I was thinking of trying a gloss.....
asinnamon

Postby Katie on Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:10 am

I tried a gloss on the extensions. I used half a bottle of cheap, non-silicone conditioner (V05, I think it is) and two heaping tblspoons of the henna that I had just put on my roots.

It was very, very messy ;) It leaked terribly from under the shower cap and i kept trying to wipe the drips off my neck...unsuccessfully. But the conditioner must have diluted it enough that it didn't stain my skin.

I woul definitely do it again, though, because the extensions loved it!
Katie

Postby blainewitch on Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:51 pm

I am impressed with how moisturizing Henna is. It doesn't seem like it should be since it is only dried plant material .... but it is.
blainewitch

Postby asinnamon on Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:47 pm

I just hennaed again and left out the 1/2 box of chocolate pudding. I got drips. Usually I add the pudding mix and no drips....
asinnamon

Postby Lori on Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:23 pm

Crap. I shouldn't have read this thread. Blainewitch, darn it. It all started with reading your posts about having henna'd your hair. I've never even considered this because I had always associated it with really RED hair, but I got curious after reading your posts, searched the forums and followed some links and found browns can be accomplished. Now I'm on another mission. I've got to try this. I have to color my hair quite often because of my gray and this sounds like it would be much kinder to my hair. See what you've started......... :twisted: :mrgreen:
Lori

Profile pic: My daughter and me, both sportin 909

Lori
Diva of the Month

Previous

Return to Bleaching/Dying