What would you do? Hair bleaching...

Ask for advice on coloring, bleaching, etc.

Moderator: clipinqueen

What would you do? Hair bleaching...

Postby DLY303 on Tue May 12, 2009 4:33 pm

Hey Everyone!

I hope you are all well! I have been so busy with school this semester, I haven't posted in awhile. I need some advice though, so I would love to hear from you all.

I have been going from darkest brown to light blonde over several months. I started with a color remover that took me up a couple levels. I then started going to a new stylist. I sent him pictures prior telling him I wanted to eventually be a *cool* blonde, absolutely NO gold.

My first visit he did highlights throughout (not terribly heavy) and bumped up my base color. It came out rather warm, but I didn't dislike it terribly.

My second visit, he added more highlights throughout (this time heavier), and did the same base color in between and at the roots. I had never had highlights done like that, but I did like it although, again- it was VERY warm. ::^(]: I had reiterated to him before he started that I wanted, COOL ashy blonde, no warmth.

Now, my last visit.... he wanted to only do highlighting of the roots, no base color and said it would blend okay. AGAIN, I told him that as I go blonder I do NOT want a warm, gold blonde. Basically, he highlighted my 1.5 inches of regrowth with hi-lift color, 40 volume, and bleach mixed together (yes, you read that right). I am left with about 1.5 inches of my ashy grey brown hair W/highlights, a band of gold brown from the last root coloring, and then several inches of the yellowest blonde you have ever seen. :evil: It looks AWFUL! ::^(]:

What would you do? Would you go back and have him redo it or would you say, three strikes you're out? The thing that scares me is that he could jack it up again and then if I had to do it myself a fifth time, my hair would start really breaking. I don't know what to do. He is a nice guy, but I think complaining might result in drama and histrionics. LOL As far as the cuts, I have *loved* what he has done. Maybe I should just do my color myself for awhile and just go to him for cuts.

What do you all think? TIA!
DLY303

Re: What would you do? Hair bleaching...

Postby clipinqueen on Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:02 pm

Hi, I know this is a really late reply and you may never read this, but I thought I would give it a go anyway! :D

To be honest, if you are going from brown to blonde, your hairdresser sounds like he's going about it the safer way. He could have taken you fully double processed blonde, but that is a LOT of work and would cost you hundreds of dollars to do initially as well as to maintain. It is less of a shock if you heavily highlight, so I see why he did it this way with you. I'm not sure what your natural level is. A highlift colour will ALWAYS go warm on dark hair -- always. Even on hair that is 6 or 7, it can come out warm. The problem is, he would have to use a very ash colour on your roots and hope your highlights don't go grey. Or what I would suggest, is doing the highlift, then heavy highlighting , but toning after -- just the roots to drab it out. It can be done and it sounds like your hairstylist is almost there.

If you go back or have gone back I would have asked for him to tone my roots ashier.

I hope everything worked out for you. :)
clipinqueen

Re: What would you do? Hair bleaching...

Postby DLY303 on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:18 pm

Thank you, clipinqueen. I did end up going back to him. I think one of the things that has irritated me a little bit is that I told him *months* ago before he even did my hair the first time that my hair...
A) Is resistant to lightening even though I am about a natural level 6 and bleach has always been required to get adequate lightning (plus my hair was dyed already).
B) My hair pulls much warmer than average (a neutral will give me warm-auburn hair, an ash shade will give me a neutral shade).

I emphatically told him these things in advance. So anyway, I go back and he proceeds to do my hair AGAIN with hi-lift with 40 volume. I can't believe I agreed to it, but I did and of course, it didn't work yet again. While the hi-lift was still on, he mixed up some bleach and put it on right over it since it wasn't lifting. It finally lightened, still extremely warm. He had to use a blue-based ash to tone it and it STILL looked yellow/orange.

Long story short, as much as I like him otherwise- I think I am going to have to go to someone else.
DLY303

Return to Bleaching/Dying